On May 3, 1931, Parker Water and Sewer Sub-District was established within the greater Geenville area. The purpose of the Sub-District was to install and maintain water and sewer lines. As communities developed and populations shifted throughout the upstate, the district faced changes as well. The water department was sold to the city of Greenville, and Parker later established fire service for the area. The name was then changed to the current title of Parker Sewer & Fire Subdistrict.
Today, Parker Sewer & Fire Subdistrict is a special purpose district whose jurisdictional area covers slightly over 23 square miles. It is roughly situated to the west of the city of Greenville and borders the city along most of Parker's eastern boundary. The District also shares common boundaries with Wade Hampton, Metropolitan, Duncan Chapel, Berea and Gantt Districts along its northern, western and southern sections. A portion of the Saluda River is located on the westerly section of the District. The most highly developed and dense areas of the District surround the eight major textile mills (Woodside Mill, Mills Mill, Monaghan Mill, Poe Mill, Brandon Mill, Judson Mill, Dunean Mill, and Union Bleachery Mill) that were built in the late 1920’s. Several major roadways pass through the District along which the majority of the commercial establishments have developed.